I am unabashedly in love. This love is something I never realized was out there for me. Do I love my kids? Absolutely! They are loving and caring adults now and have a compassion for others that amazes me. Grandchildren? Oh Yeah! Watching them grow in their relationships with God has been one of the biggest highlights of my life. Husband, Rob? Oh my…let me count the ways I am in love with him and know he loves me. BUT there is another that has me wondering why…why does He love me? How can He love me after all I have done to offend Him throughout my life?
The one I love so much is Jesus. Yep, Jesus. Some who knew me before my life with Jesus are probably rolling their eyes right now saying…so she found religion, she went off the deep end, or even “yeah right”. I want to tell you all about it though.
First of all, what you need to know is I didn’t have to jump through any hoops, serve a million funeral lunches or try to work my way to Jesus. I am a sinner as we all are, I know that. No amount of work I do here on earth is going to get me into heaven. Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior has paid the price for my sin. By dying on the cross for my sins (and yours), He paved the way to heaven for me (and you!). Nothing, I repeat nothing I do short of asking Jesus to be my Lord and Savior and asking Jesus to forgive my my trespasses will pave that way.
But Jackie was just nasty. She was a drunk, she did some pretty stupid things, she was not who God would pursue. These are things I told myself and things many people thought of me. How could Jesus, the Sinless, Savior of the world love her? I’ll tell you how I found out through the Bible that Jesus loves even me.
- First the Bible tells me, “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,” Romans 3:23.
- This tells me everyone sins.
- But how cool is it that God provides a covering for our sin through Jesus’ death on the cross -“but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. 9 Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God. 10 For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life.” Romans 5:8-10
- And it’s super easy to receive this free gift from God – “because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” Romans 10:9
- Anyone can do this! If I can, anyone can!
That’s it. No amount of works is enough to pay the price for my sin. But you may say…she does good works, she helps people after crisis, she is out there doing “things”. Here’s the deal, I don’t do these things to be saved and spend eternity with Christ, I do them BECAUSE I am saved and will spend an eternity with Christ. He asks us to serve others and be His hands and feet, to share the love of Christ with those in need. Obedience is what He asks of me. Listen folks, I’m NOT perfect. That is saved for One and One Only, God. Bu the Bible is clear; “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, 2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross,scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.” Hebrews 12:1-3.
This is me today. The old has gone, the new has come. My prayer for each and every one of my friends and family that you too can love Jesus unabashedly, with complete abandon. He is worthy of our love and through His death, He and He alone makes us worthy of Our Father in heaven.
If you have any questions on this or how someone with the past I had can be loved by our gracious, Heavenly Father, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll call you or meet up with you to talk more.