The Cap Haitian Hilton

Hi Everyone

I want to thank you for all of your support and prayer while I was in Haiti. I have made it home. I landed about 11:30 last night after a long two days. It started at 5:30 Monday morning driving to the airport in Port-au-Prince. We got there after about getting smashed by two big trucks. Thats the closest I have been to death in a long time. We got to the airport at 7:30 AM. There were eight of us so we took two planes over to Cape Haitian. The plane I was in wouldn’t leave the airport until the first plane landed and radioed back to let our pilot know if they could land or not as the weather can be bad this time of year as far as the fog goes. So we got confirmation and took off and landed just in time to catch our next flight to Ft. Lauderdale. We had to run in to get checked in. Well Bimini Airline’s big airplane had some trouble so they brought a smaller plane. Well this plane could only take 19 people and yes I was number 20. So I was left in Cape Haitian and they told me they were trying to get me on another fight that left in an hour. Well the other airlines wouldn’t work with them and after sitting around the airport till 3:00 P.M. they said they were going to have to put me up in a hotel and maybe I could fly out tomorrow. Well I’ll tell you what this was a 5 star hotel. You will all be lining up for this one.

Bathroom facilities

Bedroom with Box Springs…no mattresses?

Last Meal in Haiti

View from the Veranda

Enjoying the pool!

Our ride back to the USA…

There was no toilet paper. There was no shower head, just a pipe sticking out the wall. There was no mattress just box springs. The TV didn’t work. And no lights. I don’t even think they had electricity. But they called all night to see if I was alright. Makes you wonder what kind of neighborhood it was. They said about 8:00 pm that they had a plane for me at 10:00 AM and they would pick me up at 7:00 am. So I was back at the airport at 7:30 after a wonderful night to sit and wait till 10:00 AM for my flight. Well at about 9:00 AM they said it would be noon and it finally did happen at 12:00. My plane landed to take the 5 people that didn’t have a seat on yesterday’s fight back to the U.S.. It was a twin prop 8 seater with absolutely no leg room and it would be a 4 hour fight back to the States. I’m glad I’m not any taller I wouldn’t even have gotten in the seat. Thank goodness we had to stop in the Bahamas to get fuel so we could get out and stretch and go to the bathroom…only two more hours. It was 2:30 PM when we pulled out of there and I had to catch my plane out of Ft Lauderdale at 5:30 and we were due into Fort Lauderdale 4:30. I had to go through customs, get across the airport, get a boarding pass, go through security and to the gate in an hour and I forgot go to the bathroom. Well I made it with enough time to stop at a deli to grab a sandwich as I hadn’t eaten anything yet and was starved. I reached the gate to load the plane and eat on the plane. Then we had an hour delay in Detroit cause of an ice storm in Atlanta. But I made it home at 11:30 last night and am feeling mighty grateful for everything about my life and life itself.

Thanks for being there with me and believe me I could feel your prayer with me and couldn’t have done it without you.

Thanks and God Bless you


Published by Rob and Jackie Passer

We are missionaries with ReachGlobal Crisis Response. Rob is a response facilitator; preparing work for the volunteers to do. Jackie is operations and volunteer coordinator; she will be managing the site book and coordinating the teams with schedules, meals and sleeping arrangements.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: